The consular district of the Consulate General of the Russian Federation in New York includes the states: Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Wisconsin.

Registration of adopted Russian children

In accordance with the legislation of the Russian Federation Russian children adopted by foreign citizens must be registered at the Consulate General. To register your child, please submit to the Consulate General, either in person or by mail (if mailed, you should send notary certified copies) the following documents:

  • original Russian passport your child used to enter the country. (Once the Consulate Generalreceives all documents we shall place a registration stamp in your child's passport and issue the Certificate of registration, as a confirmation that your child has been registered with the Consulate General. After that the passport and the Certificate will be mailed back to you);
  • one passport-size picture of your child;
  • American passports of parents;
  • adoption certificate;
  • birth certificate (issued after adoption);
  • Russian Court decree/decision on the adoption of your child;
  • prepaid FedEx envelope;
    (if mailed, you should send notary certified copies)

Let us remind you that according to the Russian legislation concerning post-adoption requirements Russian Ministry of Education requires submission of post-placement supervisory reports at 6, 12, 24 and 36 month after adoption. 
Post-adoption reports should address adopted child’s bond with the family, physical health and development, education, social skills, family relationship, etc. These reports must be prepared by a licensed social worker. All reports must be notary certified, apostilled, translated into Russian and have set of 5 pictures of the child. Reports must be submitted to the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation not later than the due date. Please note that adoption agency and adoptive parents are both responsible for the child being registered with a local Russian consular office upon arrival. If adoptive parents change their place of residence, they should notify local consular office and re-register their child at new location.

Requirements for issuance of new passports to adopted Russian children

In accordance with the Russian legislation expired Russian passports can not be extended. Once expired a new passport must be obtained. An adopted child must be registered with the Consulate General. To obtain a new Russian passport adopted parents should submit to the Consulate General in person the following documents (you can use the services of adoption agencies or Russian translators):

  • Russian passport of the adopted child;
  • American passports of parents;
  • 3 identical passport size pictures of the child under 14 years old; 
    5 identical passport size pictures of the child 14 years old and above;
  • 4 identical passport size pictures of mother/father;
  • for children under age 14 money order for $10 (5-year passport) / $40 (10-year passport) payable to the Consulate General, 
    for children age 14 or older money order for $30 (5-year passport) / $80 (10-year passport)
     payable to the Consulate General, 
    (cash or personal checks will not be accepted);